Re: cache layout and distribution

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 02:18:02 +0200

Colin Campbell wrote:

> This cache is about two weeks old. I fully expected to have an
> even distribution across the disk. Are my parameters wrong?
> Is squid strange?

Nothing is wrong. It is only Squid which is confusing.

I don't know why we even have the L1 value in the cache_dir
configuration line. All it does is telling how many L1 directories to
create, not how many to use (unless you create less than what is needed,
but then the storage gets unbalanced)

As I said earlier, the value of L1 should be no less than

L1 = (cache_dir_size / store_avg_object_size / L2 / L2) * 2

Higher values only create more directories than Squid uses, lower values
makes the storage unbalanced.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker