Authentication using standard /etc/passwd file

From: Jason Thompson <jthompson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:02:29 +0100

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a squid cache at a school where I work. We
need to have passwords protecting Internet access. Our first idea is to
create all the users on the cache box using the standard add user program.
Then use squid to check that when authenticating people.

Is this possible, and is it a good idea to do this?

Users do not log in to the machine, so the passwd file will not be used for
anything else. Apart from the obvious root access.

We need to be able to add users, change user passwords, and delete users.
Via the command line.

Could anyone shed any light on my problem?

Thank you all for your time.
Jason Thompson