Re: Large scale transparent proxying

From: Pete Yandell <pete@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:48:14 +1000

>> > Just a thought, but what sort of network card are you using?
>>
>> Intel EtherExpress 10/100 (running at 100).
>
> That card shouldn't eat CPU time at all. I could suggest using LFS
> (instead of FFS) as the filesystem type for the cache dir. It's a lot
> better performing, but you'd do it at your own risk :). Maybe FFS with -o
> async,noatime.
>
> If your ipfilter rules are complex enough that'll contribute to the high
> load.

I'm not caching at all...I have some big parent proxies to take care
of that, so filesystem performance isn't the problem.

I have one ipfilter rule, so complexity is not the problem.

There are a few other weirdnesses happening too. I'm going to try a
few things and post something to the NetBSD lists as well. I'll post
back here when I know a little more.

--
Peter Yandell
Chief Technology Officer