Re: Problems with choosing faster parent cache!

From: Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski <B.Solarz-Niesluchowski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:54:18 +0200

At 13:02 99-10-17 +0200, you wrote:

> > This one?
>
>Yes.
>
> > Cache Manager menu
> >
> > Parent : xxxx
> > Flags : proxy-only no-delay
> > Address[0] : xxxx
> > AVG RTT : 18 msec
>
>Note. The RTT to XXXX is slighly less than to YYYY.

XXXX is on the same machine than cache_for_users

> > PINGS SENT : 16429
> > PINGS ACKED: 16429 100%
>
>Fine. no lost packets.
>
> > FETCHES : 55169 336%
>
>Hmm.. it looks like most requests never went thru ICP pinging at all.
>There was only 16429 ICP pings, but 55169 fetches to this peer.
>
>Are you using prefer_direct off? If so, make sure to mark the preferred
>parent as default, or have it listed first in squid.conf.

YES - because I want have large scale storage on parent squid
(squid_for_squids) not on second level squid (squid_for_users)

> > IGNORED : 6571 40%
> > Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
> > ICP_HIT : 1450 9%
> > ICP_MISS : 14979 91%
> > keep-alive ratio: 66%
> >
> > Parent : yyyy
> > AVG RTT : 19 msec
>
> > PINGS SENT : 16429
> > PINGS ACKED: 15857 97%
> > FETCHES : 2482 16%
> > IGNORED : 7956 50%
>
>Looks more normal for an ICP peer, except that it didn't get selected
>very often even when ICP pinged. Probable cause to this is if it is
>slower when responding to ICP (most likely), or if the XXXX peer has a
>much better hit ratio (not that likely, the difference is too large).

So how theoretically select for eg. domain_a squid yyy for domain_b squid
xxxx (or automatically - xxxx is selected when RTT from xxxx to any_domain
is lower, yyyy is selected when RTT from yyyy to any_domain is lower)?

Now I have:
Parent : xxxx
Flags : proxy-only closest-only no-delay
Address[0] : xxxx
AVG RTT : 14 msec
LAST QUERY : 6 seconds ago
LAST REPLY : 6 seconds ago
PINGS SENT : 4736
PINGS ACKED: 4736 100%
FETCHES : 14959 316%
IGNORED : 1641 35%
Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
          ICP_HIT : 327 7%
         ICP_MISS : 4409 93%
keep-alive ratio: 50%

Parent : yyyy
Flags : proxy-only closest-only no-delay
Address[0] : yyyy
AVG RTT : 14 msec
LAST QUERY : 6 seconds ago
LAST REPLY : 6 seconds ago
PINGS SENT : 4736
PINGS ACKED: 4732 100%
FETCHES : 814 17%
IGNORED : 2032 43%
Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
     ICP_MISS_NOF : 4732 100%
keep-alive ratio: 82%

Best Regards

* Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski *
* Administrator WSISiZ *
* Motto - nie psuj Win'9x one i bez tego sie psuja.... *
* Jak sobie poscielisz tak sie wyspisz *