Re: How do I kill off squid?

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:45:42 +0200

At 02:31 18.10.99 +0100, David Marsh wrote:
><melodrama>
>However, neither
>squid -k shutdown nor
>squid -k kill nor even
>ps aux | grep suid followed by appropriate kill -9's
>
>seem to kill off this tentacled beast!
>
>As soon as squid is killed off, another tentacle appears in its place!
></melodrama>
>
>Can anybody tell me how I get out of this one?

Depends on how it was started in the first place.

- If your Squid is started from /etc/inittab then you'll have to
  remove the corresponding entry from that file, otherwise the
  init process will dutifully restart it every time it exits.

- If you are using the RunCache script included with Squid, that one
  will also automatically restart Squid each time it exits, so you
  should kill that before you kill Squid.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)