Re: negative_dns_ttl in STABLE5

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:33:18 -1000

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 11:53:06AM +0200, Charles Bruneteau wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Charles Bruneteau wrote:
> > > Each time i reload for www.yahoo.com from my browser, my proxy asks a dnsserver
> > > process for a resolution.
> > >
> > > Is this a bug or common behaviour ?
> >
> > It is a feature.
> >
> > "Pragma: no-cache" invalidates both object and DNS caches.
>
> Are you certain of this Henrik ?
>
> I modified a web server IP address and reported it in our DNS; then,
> even with "Pragma: no-cache" , i was not able anymore to access the
> server. I verified manually that dnsserver was reporting the new IP
> address. I guess ipcache was still used.

  I've also observed this behavior with 2.2S4. I had been attributing
it to the dnsserver processes, but I didn't think to try querying them
directly.

  I think the DNS resolution with www.yahoo.com may be because they use
a very short DNS TTL; I just queried our name server and saw 87 seconds
remaining on their TTL. Probably left over from the old "rotating DNS"
hack for load distribution?
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.