Find tuning Squid

From: Shane T. Ferguson <shane@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:06:23 -0300

Hi, I've been running Squid 2.2.STABLE3 for a couple of months now on:
--PIII 450
--256MB RAM
--17Gb hdd
--RH5.2 (2.0.36 kernel)

I have 8 GB to be used for caching (this is maximum amount I am allowed).
The server itself is primarily used for cacheing for approximately 300-500
clients. Although the server does have "read access" to another News server.
All seems to be working ok "sort of" -- myself and others find it a little
slow with name lookups when accessing it.
Here is a bit of what I have in my squid.conf file. Can anyone offer any
suggestions as to how I can improve things? Thanks.

cache_mem 128 MB
maximum_object_size 32768 KB
ipcache_size 32768
ipcache_low 90
ipcache_high 95
cache_dir /home/squid/cache 8000 32 512
cache_dns_program /usr/local/squid/bin/dnsserver
dns_children 12

Shane T. Ferguson
System Administrator
Galaxy Data Services