A tribute to squid

From: Todd Vinson <tvinson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:28:22 -0600

All,

Just thought I'd share this little tribute to Squid with all of you.

Up until about a month ago my company was using the dreaded Netscape
Proxy server on our outbound Tier 1 proxy systems. We averaged about
3.9 million accesses per 8 hours with 2 - 2.5 second response time with
this configuration. I have worked with squid in the past, and decided
(being the guy who decides these things) to give Squid a shot on these
Tier 1 systems. We'll folks, it's one of the best things I've done. As
of today, when I received my daily report from the systems, we are at
5.8 million accesses per 8 hours, 300-400kb/s less Bandwidth usage, and
best of all, 0.8sec response time across the architecture; WITHOUT one
dime being spent on hardware. We support about 40,000 10mb/s clients,
so needless to say, I feel this is quite an accomplishment for Squid.

Squid is the best freeware/shareware/commecial proxy available!