Help with transparent cache

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:44:19 -0300

Hi all

I'm new to squid, so I apologize if this is a newbie question. I'm trying to
set up a transparent webcache using squid.
My intention is to have http requests by our users to be routed to squid,
withouth them having to configure their individual web browsers to use squid
as a proxy.

My setup is as follows:
- Squid box running on AIX 4.3.2 sitting behind a router
- on the front side of the router is my users
- webserver attached to router

WHat I would like:
- Users requests a web page from webserver
- router routes the request to the squid box
- squid does what squid is supposed to do and returns either a cached
version of the requested web page or goes to the webserver and returns one
from there.

From what I've read and from what I've tested, it seems that I will need a
firewall on my squid box to this. I guess i"m wondering if this is true.

Thanks for your time, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Matt
mda@unb.ca