Swap DIsks- but not what you think!

From: <info@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:07:21 +1000

(Before you collectively say OH NO, NOT THIS QUESTION AGAIN!!! @&!#*(#!*($&$#,
it isn't that)

On a Mac, I can switch what Apple call "Virtual Memory" (& what every one else
calls swap disks) off altogether & the Mac goes a lot quicker. Yes, it runs out
of memory, but you allocate memory manually so if you're running servers you
don't have a problem!

I know you can use the command "swapoff -a" with Linux, but I have a vague
memory of there being a problem with that.

Is there a way that Squid (& other Linux/UNIX) programs can be convinced that
they just cannot have more RAM than is available without spitting the dummy such
that you can use swapoff without fear? If not, would it be possible to build
something of the kind in future versions of Squid? I'm sure a lot of people
would love to know the answer to this...

Cheers,
Marc Lucke