Re: Help with transparent cache

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:52:17 -1000

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 04:42:14PM -0300, Matt Ashfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running it in non-transparent mode, ie proxy mode right now. The
> problem is we want to run it transparent on an AIX box. We've actually set
> it up to run transparent on a Linux box, but have been out of luck trying to
> get the AIX box to accept the packets. So I guess it's an AIX issue. Have
> you heard of anyone else running this on AIX?

  Not off hand, but that at least points in the right direction. You
now need to get the AIX box to accept TCP/IP packets "promiscuously",
i.e. for any TCP/IP address. (Note this is *not* quite the same as the
Ethernet promiscuous mode used in sniffers.)

  Check the ip filters package referenced in the FAQ and see if it
supports AIX or can be ported to it. Otherwise, you may have to look
at AIX docs to see how to do it in AIX, or if it even can be done
without changing kernel source. Your basic task is to get something
running that runs at the IP kernel level, accepts packets to any IP
address, port 80, on the desired interface, and routes them all to a
specified port number on the loopback interface. Squid should take it
from there.

  tcpdump will be your greatest friend in this.

  HTH,
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.