Re: More on the dribbling

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:03:08 +0200

The manager wrote:

> Normally I have the proxy that I get my feed from set up as a parent. Maybe
> this is my problem and it perhaps should be set as a sibling..... But I am
> trying to get my proxy to pull the page etc from my upline if it is stored
> there and if not go out and get it direct.

Typical goal of a sibling relation. You only get what they have from
siblings.

> What is happening now is I get a fast ping time from my upline but when it
> pulls the page into it's cache it comes into there very slowly and as a
> result cannot feed me very quickly.

Sounds like a bad performing parent.

> In this case my proxy gets a better and faster feed if it goes direct....

Reconfigure your squid to use the upline proxy as a sibling, and
complain to the managers of the uplink proxy that it is not performing
very well. Perhaps they use bandwidth limiting features and you are
classified as a single user in their proxy, or simply are overloaded and
can't handle the traffic load sent to the proxy.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker