Re: TCP_MEM_HIT status

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:52:42 +0200

Adrian Hill wrote:

> Sorry for mailing you directly, but I'd have to resubscribe and generally
> mess around with my netscape.net account... (The joys of spam evasion).
>
> Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Has anyone patched squid to reload into
> memory, and if so were the results favourable (I know that's kind of a
> subjective question, but...)? You seem to know squid intimately, do you
> 'feel' that there'd be a benefit in such a patch?

I don't know of any such patch, and I think there are other areas being
more important to work on from a performance point of view.

However, there have been some research in cache replacement algorithms
which indicates that having a memory based hot items cache may be
beneficial if a better replacement algorithm is used than Squids
modified LRU. So given gobs of memory (equivalent of some minutes worth
of traffic at least) and a suitable replacement algorithm then there may
be true benefit in having a hot-object cache for small objects.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker