Re: what exactly is it I failed to understand?

From: Michael Sparks <michael.sparks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:34:34 +0100 (BST)

Arvid,

Squid is an HTTP proxy. (Ignore the cache bit for the mo' :-)

This means that if squid recieves an HTTP proxy request for a given URL it
will attempt to satisfy it. It *could* be argued that this means it should
only satisfy requests for URLs that start with `http://', but squid will
also accept a couple of other non HTTP protocols - such as ftp - ie URLs
that start `ftp://', and IIRC gopher (It's been a while since I last
checked the full list of non-HTTP urls it accepts :-).

Protocols it won't proxy include things like `mailto:' URLs, amongst many
others - since they're not HTTP based.

In the case of non-HTTP protocols (ftp,gopher), squid acts as a HTTP to
(ftp,gopher) gateway - that is it accepts an http request looking
something like this:

GET ftp://bla.bla.bla.com/pub/bla.bla.zip HTTP/1.0

And then makes a normal ftp connection to bla.bla.bla.com, and grabs
/pub/bla.bla.zip, and returns the object via ftp. Similar things happen
for the other non-HTTP protocols squid can gateway. (I *think* it's just
ftp & gopher)

A true ftp proxy would allow you to type in ftp commands to be forwarded
to the remote server.

The reason why the docs with squid don't tell you how to do things like
this:

> For
> example mail, ftp and icq.

Is because squid isn't a mail server, nor an ftp server, nor an icq
proxy/server... Essentially the FAQ says this in section 1.1 "What is
Squid?"

If you're running a linux box (or even if you're not but want to
read up on some of these things, and don't mind a linux-centric view)
have a wander through the Linux HOWTOs since they'll give you a good
starting point to meander through loads of other documentation.

Ones you may find useful would be the Firewall-HOWTO,
Intranet-Server-HOWTO and NET3-HOWTO. (There's probably better
info kicking about depending on what you want to do, but at least
some of those will help get you started - hopefully :-)

Michael.

--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195