Re: Http Accel & Rule-based Caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 01:29:14 +0200

patrickg@isyndicate.com wrote:

> I want to be able to use Squid in accel mode in order to cache only a
> portion of our site, including results from certain CGI's. I see that
> there is a no_cache directive to create exclusions, but how would I do the
> inverse, create an *inclusion* list of locations that should be cached?

It works both ways.

allowed content are allowed to be cached (if the server response so
permits)
denied content are denied to be cached.

If you are asking how to make Squid cache dynamically generated then
there is two approaches:

a) Correct the content generator to include appropriate cachability
headers (i.e. a Expires or Cache-Control: min-age header). This also has
the added benefit that the content is cached by browsers and proxies,
which may give a trmendeous speed increase to your users (all depending
on the application).

b) Use the refresh_pattern settings in Squid to change the heuristics of
Squids dynamic expiry calculation used on content without a explicit
expiry time.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker