Re: transparent proxy and authentication.

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:37:04 -1000

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 11:04:24AM +1000, Bart Bunting wrote:
> Is it possible to setup a transparent proxy and then point it to a
> parent cache which uses authentication or will this not work either.
>
> I intend to use this for outside connections coming through our
> firewall. they would be transparently proxied and the transparent
> proxy would have our main cache which has authentication set as it's
> parent.

This should work as long as the outside connections do not need to
authenticate with the transparent proxy, which is where the "you can't
do that" comes from. This does imply the transparent proxy is somehow
hard-coded so it always uses the same authentication code with its
parent. As long as that's OK, it should be possible to make this do
that.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.