transparent proxy and authentication.

From: Bart Bunting <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:04:24 +1000 (EST)

hi,

I read in squid.conf that you can't use transparent proxying and
authentication together.

I'm still unclear as to why this is so, thus my question:

Is it possible to setup a transparent proxy and then point it to a parent cache which uses authentication or will this not work either.

I intend to use this for outside connections coming through our
firewall. they would be transparently proxied and the transparent
proxy would have our main cache which has authentication set as it's
parent.

would such a setup work or would it run into trouble with the transparent proxy and authentication?

Thanks
Bart