Re: cookie problems

From: Simon Greaves <Simon.Greaves@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:58:25 +1200

Some more background on this problem in addendum to my previous post, I
just received a note from the admin of the site we were having problems
with (http://www.thenutshell.co.uk/content/free/logon.html).

For what it's worth, I thought I'd forward a summary of their comments:

8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
Internet proxy servers don't expect html pages to contain any dynamic
content so they cache a local copy of that page.

The site attempts to send a session cookie to a new user before it
displays the logon box. Since the first page visited was the
'logon.html' page, the proxy server probably returned the copy it had in
it's local cache and therefore a fresh session cookie never reached his
browser.

The logon.html page has been modified to contain an asp inside it's
frame which should take care of the caching problem.

It's true that the site logon does now work, and I understand why it now
works since squid will not cache the dynamic stuff hence will re-request
the asp page. Presumably the reason it didn't work before was not an
issue with squid, but rather the website's implementation, ie squid had
no way of knowing it should contact the remote site.

Simon

--
Simon Greaves				voice: (+679) 212114
Computer Centre				fax:   (+679) 304089