Re: DNSserver and memory usage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:46:58 +0200

Stefano Di Giancarlo wrote:

> Since I had got a warning message in the cache.log, I have decided to
> increase the number of dnsserver processes in squid.conf. Is it possible
> to know how much memory every dnsserver process uses? Do the same
> processes have a remarkable impact on CPU cycles?

To determine how much memory the dnsserver processes uses, use your
favorite process statistics tool (ps, top or whatever). They should not
grow much once being used for a while.

> I have noticed that Squid does not release DRAM memory even when the
> overall load is not so high. Any suggestion?

First question is if you have told Squid to release unused memory? See
memory_pools and memory_pools_limit in squid.conf.

Second, most memory management routines (malloc) for UNIX processes
never release memory once allocated from the OS.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker