Re: ip-filter for Solaris? and other proxy stuff

From: Franklin R. Jones <grat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:24:44 -0600

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 01:11:58PM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 04:24:34PM -0600, Franklin R. Jones wrote:
> > Additionly anyone know of an easy way to auto-configure IE in a
> > similar way to Netscape's "Content-type: application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig"?
>
> This has supposedly been supported since IE4 - but from experience I'm
> willing to say it only started working correctly with IE5.
>
> If you can configure a DNS alias of "wpad.[your-domain]" pointing to the Web
> server on which you keep your proxy.pac
>
> e.g.
>
> http://wpad.trimble.co.nz/proxy.pac [in our case]
>
> Then the "Automatic Proxy Configuration" option doesn't even need to be
> manually configured - IE5 does a DNS lookup for "wpad" and grabs the
> proxy.pac it finds!
>
> This is truly cool for the likes of me - my home PC has Web access via work
> (with Squid) and via my ISP (no proxy) - setting "Automatic Proxy
> Configuration" allows my browser to work no matter what dialin settings are
> in place :-)

  Thanks for the info. Actually I'm using a cgi script served off of
the squid servers. Netscape picks it up, IE4 and IE5 seem to not even
go there. (I haven't actually tried to log the access, but from
appearances it does not). Or it may be explicitly looking for a pac
file. There were problems in the past with javascript, but these may
no longer be an issue. I will investigate. Transparent proxy may be a
better overall long term solution, but I need to get IE fixed before I
can move to that. I'm installing a proxy.pac in a few to see if this
will repair the problem.

> Hard to say, but now M$ are a step ahead of Netscape on this front...

  I'm not sure I would say that... The wpad thing is ok as far as it
goes, the issue I have is that it assumes that there is only a single
proxy gate for an entire domain, which is a short-sided view in the
world of multi-homed domains. While DHCP may be a reasonable
resource** for deploying the proxy server information, using a single
specific host name via DNS, even DDNS, isn't a solution that will live
very long.

thanks for the info though. Gives me more things to consider.

fj..

** this assumes that DHCP is a rational method to start with. There
are still a lot of need for static IP allocation.