Re: incomple files...

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:53:44 -0600

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Roberto Di Chio wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> recentely I've added a satellite downstream to my links and,
> to use it, I've added a squid to my hierarchy.
> The satellite answers to my requests by a proxy server that I
> configured as parent in my squid.conf.
> Everything works in a perfect way if I use it from a client connected on
> the local network, and the proxy serves every kind of file.
> If I use the proxy from a client connected via a modem (slow link),
> and I ask for a very big file (more than 15 min downloading online),
> the parent proxy timeout and the file I receive is truncated.
> I was wandering if there is a way to fetch the whole object at the link
> speed by proxy (digging in the old messages I found something like
> deferred read) and serve it at client speed.

I can think of one way to do it.

First, disable 'quick_abort' as follows:

        quick_abort_min -1

Now, when you start to download a huge file, abort the download
with your browser (or whatever). Squid should continue to
read the reply from the server as quickly as it can.

Then, wait a little bit and request the object again. You should
get a cache hit and the modem-client should get the whole response.

Duane W.