Re: configuration for dynamic pages

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:53:57 -1000

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 05:32:05PM +0100, frank.loepke@europe.eds.com wrote:
> The URL is build up like this:
>
> http://squid/test.asp?1000=123456
>
> Where 1000 is a database index. The identifier 123456 refers to an
> image with is send to the browser in pdf format.

  As noted, can you revise the server so it returns cacheable data? One
possibly simple way to do this (not necessarily the best) might be to
have the query generate a redirect to a static URL (e.g.
http://squid/temporary/db1000/123456.pdf) which should then be cached
by default.

  Another would be to have the query response return headers indicating
the data is cacheable and when it expires. A combination of the two
might be the best.

> In squid.conf I entered the following items:
>
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin \?
>
> #acl QUERY urlpath regex cgi-bin \?
> #no_cache deny QUERY
>
> refresh pattern \? 60 50% 4320 ignore-reload override-expire override-lastmod

  As pointed out, this is going to end up messing up caching of every
other CGI and query URL accessed by users of your cache, and will still
not solve the problem for anybody accessing this server or database via
a different cache.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.