Re: 2.2.STABLE5 Possible Memory Leak?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:38:16 -1000

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 02:43:24PM -0500, Jim Richey wrote:
> Running on Solaris 2.6 with latest patches. Compiled with gcc 2.8.1 with
> --enable-dlmalloc, --enable-cache-digests, and --disable-ident-lookups.
> When the system is first booted there is about 500MB of free memory and
> squid has 22MB according to top. After six days the amount of free
> memory is 375MB and top reports that squid has 44MB. If I stop squid
> with squid -k shutdown the system gets back the 44MB squid was using,
> but the other 81MB never gets freed. There are no other applications
> running on this system, just squid and the Solaris OS programs. If I
> reboot the system, it comes back up with the 500MB free.

  Are you running named or some similar caching domain name server on
Solaris? At this point, named eats up about 60MB on our BSD/OS server,
and you might not have been looking there for where your memory went.

  Otherwise, I'd say you've got a Solaris kernel bug. It should not be
possible for an application to allocate RAM from the kernel in a way
that does not get returned when the application terminates.

  HTH
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.