Re: 2.2.STABLE5 Possible Memory Leak?

From: Jim Richey <jrichey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:57:09 -0500

Clifton Royston wrote:

> Are you running named or some similar caching domain name server on
> Solaris?

Nope. No named. In fact I've removed anything that isn't needed, nfs,
snmp, etc. I do have nscd running, but I have set: enable-cache hosts
no

Martin Robbins wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm running Squid 2.2STABLE5 on Solaris 2.6 patched to 1st Oct 1999,
> compiled with -mv8 -O3 and using egcs-1.1.2
>
> I have had similar trouble in the past, a very effective fix for
> my problem was enabling priority paging (add "set priority_paging=1"
> to /etc/system) (as outlined in the FAQ

I do have priority_paging=1 set in /etc/system. What does the -mv8
option due? Do you see much difference in performance between -02 and
-03?

Tilman Schmidt wrote:

> I'd assume that Solaris has claimed those 81MB for its buffer cache.
> Free memory is wasted memory, so the OS tries to put it to good use.
> It will give it back if some process ever needs it.

That acutally makes a lot of sense. Other OS's do this too. I bevieve
top actually shows this on Linux. Unfortunately is does not on Solaris.
I assume it's because it's not available in /proc. Anyone know if there
is a utility available to show buffer cache in Solaris?

--
Jim Richey
jrichey@highmark.com