Re: Authentication Via Another Server

From: Espen Lyngaas <Espen.Lyngaas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:17:29 +0100

At 19:15 11/09/1999 -0500, John Hammond wrote:
> I'd like to know if the following could be implemented using Squid.
>We want to have Squid running on an AIX or Linus box make a call (open
>an HTTP connection) to another host for the purpose of passing the userid
>and password combination for authentication via the other host. The
>authenticating host would pass back to the Squid host whatever was
>required (ERR or OK, I believe) via the HTTP connection opened by the
>host running Squid. Essentially, the Squid authentication routine will
>just call another host via HTTP which will actually do the authentication.
>Possible with Squid?

(Please treat this as coming from someone who knows way to little about Squid)

If you must use another host to do the authentication, and you must use
http for the authentication 'call', then I'm not sure. If not, it seems
what you're trying to do is pretty much what I'm doing with a combination
of Squid and squidGuard. In my case the Squid config is used for the source
side of things, including authentication via smb_auth to an NT server,
while all the destination stuff is handled by squidGuard.

This other host, what os is it, and is there any perticular reason why it
must use http? You could do authentication in squidGuard too, but I haven't
really looked at that yet.

In the case of redirectors, such as squidGuard, the url is of course passed
along for further processing. I don't think Squid passes it along to an
external authenticator.

--
Espen Lyngaas, IT Consultant, Color Group ASA
Espen.Lyngaas@colorline.no Espen.Lyngaas@c2i.net