Re: an idea about dual cpus

From: Leonid Igolnik - LiM <lim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:59:59 +0200 (IST)

|No this is a single PII-400 over clocked to 500 MHz, 125 MHz bus, 41 MHz
|PCI, 1G RAM, 4 18G u2w drives.
This is very close to the computer I described except that one was dual and
had faster CPU's.

|RAM, network, and disk are all doing very well. It's just the CPU
|that's holding us back. Currently it looks like we will get around 3M
|hits a day. Soon this should go up as we double our outgoing
|connection. First of all does this sound normal? Should I track down
|what is using all the CPU and simply quit doing it?
If you don't want to upgrade your HW, you have to try to optimize your
software. What OS you running ? what kernel ? Upgrading to latest kernel
sometimes solves very unexpected problems.

|Async-io is an option but previously when we turned it on squid would
|crash every few hours.
What squid do you use ? Using various patches from squids site helps
sometime.

|If this is normal it seems like instead of splitting up our hardware and
|having 2 boxes connected through a "slow" 100 Mb it Ethernet link with
|512 MB RAM, 2 18G drives. It would be a better utilization of our
|hardware to use a smp box with each squid process talking through the
|system bus. We do have memory to spare for digests and the such.
I think dual option is better - I also think you do not need to run two
different proxies on same machine - using async-io you'll be able to
utilize both CPU's

|If this continues to be a problem I think we will try a dual celeron 500
|with the above idea. Of course I'll let everyone know how it goes.
If I were you I was buying fastest CPU on the market, celeron has
problems with cache memory. By the way some board do not cache memory
above certain amount, 64M for most of them. You should consider buying good
board (server board), hot swap is nice feature. Computer I described
before has INTEL dual board with hot swap, dual SCSI ultra wide
controller, on board 100 Intel card(this one can give you some problems on
linux).

Leonid Igolnik aka LiM