Re: Squid with no cache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:03:11 +0100

Darren Steven wrote:

> I have had a similar problem - just make a temporary cache area
> that is small in size (say 100M), and point squid at it.

I do similary when there is no cache drives ready, with the addition of
no_cache to turn squid into proxy-only mode (no caching).

This is done as part of an automated process to guarantee that the
machines is close to always capable of proxying without any down time to
fix cache partitions. All such actions is performed in the background,
and Squid automatically restarted to use the drive(s) when ready.

Sometime I'll try to package selected parts of the init script I have
for others to use, but right now it is a bit messy, very Linux
dependent, and requires a couple of Squid patches (reordered pid file
maintenance, swap_index_file location, chroot support).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker