Transparent proxy and cache server

From: Balgansuren <balgaa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:38:37 +0800 (CST)

Hello,

I want to do following:
a.Install one PC with Intel Pentium II Xeon or III 450-500MHz, 512MB-1GB
RAM, 36GB HDD and 10/100Mb NIC.

On the this PC I want to install Redhat Linux 6.1, Squid-2.3DEVEL3.
Also I want to configure this machine as transparent proxy and cache
server.
This PC will be for dial-up and dedicated line customers as proxying and
caching server.

b.Following current our network configuration figure.

----------
PC with
Redhat 6.1
Squid
----------

        |direct Ethernet
        |connection to
        |Cisco Other dedicated
        | line users
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |Ethernet 0/2, 0/4
        |Ethernet 0/5 |Serial 1/5 etc.,
                           Cisco 7505
                               router
        |Ethernet 0/3 |Ethernet 0/1
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
------------------------------ ----------------------
        Cisco 2924XL Cisco 2924XL
          Catalyst Catalyst
        LAN switch LAN switch
------------------------------ ----------------------
        | VLAN 1 | |VLAN 2
        | | |
        | | |
        | | |
        | | |
----------- ----------- -----------
AS5300 NAS Ascend MAX Other
with 120 4060 information
lines 60 lines server

We want all dial-up and dedicated line customer router
through Squid installed machine. We want to reduce over utilization of our
current bandwith for Internet connection.

What is your suggestion?
Cisco 7505 router's Serial 1/2 port connected to publicb Internet through
satellite connection.

Please advise to me to configure Squid as transparent proxy/cache server.

Best Regards
Balgansuren