Re: Squid seems to be misjudging!

From: Tais M. Hansen <tais@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:54:38 +0100

on 15/11/99 17:18, Ambrose Li [EDP] at acli@mingpaoxpress.com wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 12:55:30PM +0100, Tais M. Hansen wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem with certain urls, which works fine without a Squid proxy,
>> but makes an "Invalid URL" when Squid is used!
>> The URL is:
> [...]
> Hmm. I don't see any problem with that URL (with squid 2.1 or 2.2).
> Perhaps it is something to do with the flash file? (?)

It might be. Especially if you don't have problems with it. The strange
thing is just that it worked fine without the proxy!

>> What can I do to solve that problem?
> Squid is usually right. I got such complaints from time to time and
> iirc it turns out that the URL's in question (altavista mail and
> Canada Newswire) are in fact invalid. People apparently are very
> sloppy generating random URL's and sometimes will include invalid
> characters.

Then the developers of browsers must be equally sloppy, since they don't
seem to be performing any errorchecking on the urls at all! I've experienced
a similar problem with Geocities email a year ago. They did something that
made a strict RFC mr/mda (like Fetchmail at the time) puke!

> Try turning Javascript off and see if the problem reoccurs. People
> seem to be very sloppy checking for errors in their Javascript and
> sometimes includes newlines inside URL's.

Well, I never got to try that. It seems it suddenly started working! And I
never got around to complain about it! Darn! ;)

Thanks for you help!

--
MSB Danmark A/S
Tel: +45-7010-9800