Blocking access except through proxy

From: Jason Thompson <jthompson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:23:00 -0000

Hi All,

I am just wondering if anyone has implimented a system where port 80 (ie WWW) is blocked to all clients, so they are forced to use the proxy server. Without using any type of transparent proxy?

All of the clients see the server as the default router as well as the proxy. What I want to do is use the standard firewalling code in Linux to block access to the WWW directly, so all clients must use the proxy server.

This is for 2 reasons, one we have passwords on Internet access so we can log pages to a specific username, and secondly because the server is in an educational establishment our isp offers a 'protected' Internet service, but only if you go through thier proxy. Which is why we do not want ot allow direct access.

I appriciate that this list is for squid, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with configuring the routing so I can achieve the above.

The system is Redhat 6.0

Thanks in advance

Jason Thompson
IT Technician