Performance tuning

From: Jason Thompson <jthompson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:36:54 -0000

Hi All,

I was wondering is anyone could anwser some or all of these questions:

1. What is a recommended cache size to gain best performance? is there a size where you stop getting any performance gain or is it simply the bigger the better?

2. How much physical memory should the cache have in the machine, and how much should squid have allocated in the squid.conf file?

3. I want to get the cache running as fast as possible for the following system below:
       ISDN Link to the net at 64Kbs
       Approx 100 Clients
       Server Currently: P166, 32MB RAM, 2GB HD
       OS: Redhat 6.0

       Could anyone offer me some tips for tuning the cache. It would be best if the cache made as little access to the Internet as possible. i.e not bother checking expire dates for cache objects. As long as users can manually refresh the pages using the web browser.

4. What would be a recommended Internet line speed for the amount of clients we have? ie 64Kbs, 128Kbs etc. Baring in mind we are a school and have practically no money.

5. Directed at UK users only: Do you know of any ISPs that offer cheap (but very realiable) LAN connections to the net using ISDN?

Thank you all in advance for your time

Jason Thompson
IT Technician
Allerton Grange School