Re: Squid won't pass through FTP and SMTP (was: help for squid newbie

From: Mark DeWar <inetmail@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:56:52 -0500

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:38:59 -0000

>> From: Mark DeWar [SMTP:inetmail@mailserver.fiber-net.com]
>>
>> i have installed squid and it works for web surfing. however i can not get
>> the machines on the network to check/send mail or ftp out.
>> I have looked thru the squid.conf and read the faq's and can not see what
>> i have missed.
>> if someone could please help or point me in the right direction I would
>> greatly greatly appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.
>>
> What you have missed is that Squid is not a firewall -
> in fact it is probably unwise to run it on a firwall
> machine, as it violates the simplicity condition for
> secure software.
>
> Squid is primarily a web cache.
>
> Secondary roles are as an HTTP to FTP gateway and as
> an HTTP proxy.
>
> You need either a masquerading (NAT) router, or an
> FTP proxy (which cannot be invisible to users) and
> a conventional mail transport agent.

thanks. is the way i am setup good ? bad ? ugly ? is there a better way to setup the internal network.? one reason i put the squid up was for security for our office computers but also to perserve our ips. (we use 192.168.0.x for our non internet host computers).
i apologize for the stupidity of my questions but am now only starting to look at and learn about proxy,caches and firewalls.

Again Thanks
Mark