Re: IE 4 && HTTP/1.1 through proxy

From: T. Esting <t_esting@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:40:27 PST

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:08:30 +0000, Dancer wrote:

> MSIE attempts to use persistent connections even if the response header
> specifies HTTP/1.0 or Connection: close. This is probably skewing the
> data somewhat.

  Actually, in my sniffer traces, I do indeed see IE hanging up every single
time that it receives a Proxy-Connection: close reply header, as expected.
(Sidebar: I also see NN using HTTP/1.0 to the proxy, but both browser send
Proxy-Connection: Keepalive.) Interestingly enough, the big difference
between IE and NN is that IE seems to send If-Modified-Since: requests for
documents that returned a Last-Modified: header, whereas Netscape probably
does its own heuristics, per section 13.2.4 of the HTTP/1.1 RFC. The catch:
squid seems to send Proxy-Connection: close after TCP_IMS_HIT replies. This
begs the question: is this behavior configurable or is it part of HTTP
protocol compliance?