Re: high CPU usage

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:37:11 -1000

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 08:42:36PM +0800, Francis A. Vidal wrote:
> i'm running squid2.2-stable4 (async-io enabled) on a FreeBSD 3.3-stable
> (w/ softupdates) machine with 16GB cache space and 256MB of RAM. my system
> is experiencing 97-98% CPU usage with 5-6 clients accessing it. any
> related experiences?

You need to give a little more info for people to be able to help.

97-98% CPU usage for the *system overall* is normal if you have any
"niced" processes running to use idle time; for instance, if you run
Seti@Home, RC5 codebreaking, the Mersenne prime search, or any of many
other programs which essentially put all the idle cycles to use. That
doesn't have anything to do with Squid, and won't significantly
interfere with Squid performance or with other processes.

An ongoing 97-98% CPU usage for Squid, on the other hand, would be very
unusual. On a 486 system I run with far less RAM, it's never anything
near that.

What is the "load" figure reported by uptime or top? And is Squid
consistently the top process, or are other things taking most of the
CPU?

P.S.: async-io is not needed or helpful for Squid on current FreeBSD,
and should be turned off.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.