Re: high CPU usage

From: Francis A. Vidal <francis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:51:10 +0800 (PHT)

---- Quoting Clifton Royston's message, sent 11/24/99 7:37am ----

> > i'm running squid2.2-stable4 (async-io enabled) on a FreeBSD 3.3-stable
> > (w/ softupdates) machine with 16GB cache space and 256MB of RAM. my system
> > is experiencing 97-98% CPU usage with 5-6 clients accessing it. any
> > related experiences?
>
> You need to give a little more info for people to be able to help.
>
> 97-98% CPU usage for the *system overall* is normal if you have any
> "niced" processes running to use idle time; for instance, if you run
> Seti@Home, RC5 codebreaking, the Mersenne prime search, or any of many
> other programs which essentially put all the idle cycles to use.
> That doesn't have anything to do with Squid, and won't significantly
> interfere with Squid performance or with other processes.

not the overall CPU usage but just the squid process. i'm not running any
code-breaking process or Seti@Home on the machine. it's purely a
proxy/cache machine.

> An ongoing 97-98% CPU usage for Squid, on the other hand, would be
> very unusual. On a 486 system I run with far less RAM, it's never
> anything near that.

yes, my earlier squid setup did not exhibit this behaviour just now.

> What is the "load" figure reported by uptime or top? And is Squid
> consistently the top process, or are other things taking most of the
> CPU?

the load figure is from top and is the squid process itself.

> P.S.: async-io is not needed or helpful for Squid on current FreeBSD,
> and should be turned off.

why? can you please elaborate? in the squid FAQ, it mentioned to turn on
async-io on "very busy" machines. what exactly is a "very busy" machine?

--
francis vidal	university of st. la salle, bacolod city, philippines
. . . . . . .	PGP key available via e-mail / subject: get PGP key