Newbie Question - Apparent lack of Caching ?

From: Bradshaw Andrew <BradshawA@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:55:19 -0000

Hi There

I have a prob...
I also have a question re squid.

I currently have a test RedHat Linux 6.1 box with 2.2STABLE5 installed. It
is chained onto a parent proxy which is Microsoft Proxy 2.0 - for historical
reasons and testing purposes. The MSP is also configured as a caching DNS
server as it's the only device allowed access thru our firewall.

I;ve noticed in the logs that the Squid box is never finding any recently
access files from disk; rarely from memory cache. I get huge swaiths of
TCP_MISS/200's.

I've just re-checked my logs and am now getting approx 5% hits from cache -
even for sites that have been recently been visited by my colleagues.

Is there anything I can do to up the % of hits ?? From what I gather there
are a number of factors which determine the cacheability of a site.
However, my basic logic says that if I've just visited a site two minutes
ago, and then someone else visits the same site thru the same proxy then it
should really come from cache , even if the site designer expired all the
objects before issuing them to me. If the site issues a cookie then from
what I understand it's uncacheable anyway.

That's all a tad rambling but I haven't had any coffee for a while.....

Regards

Andrew

Excerpt from squid.conf
cache_peer 150.3.200.2 parent 80 0 no-query default

.
.
.
dns_nameservers 150.3.200.2 150.3.84.20
This communication shall not bind North Lanarkshire Council, its
officials or employees and shall not in any way constitute or form
part of a contract. Any view or opinion expressed in this
communication shall not be construed as that of North Lanarkshire
Council.

the system manager - postmaster@northlan.gov.uk, or the Help Desk on
01698 302254.

www.mimesweeper.com