Re:Squid and RH6.1

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:13:58 -0600

> Subject: Squid and RH6.1
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:50:33 -0500
> From: "CarolB" <edluzen@buffnet.net>
> To: <squid-users@ircache.net>
>
> Something very simple is going wrong, but I'm too new to Llinux to
> catch it.
>
> I have taken the following steps:
> 1. Installed squid using rpm -e
> -squid installs, although in a different directory pattern than
> the faq recommends
>
> 2. Edited the squid.conf to look approximately like the sample (am
> wondering if my problem is in this script edit ... if I do nothing,
> will squid -z just use the 'default' values?)
>
> 3. Typed squid -z
> -caches created, and logs
>
> 4. looked to run RunCache & -- can't find it anywhere. sigh.
>
> Could someone please explain what I should do?

This is an easy one. Red Hat (and most Linux distros these days) use
initscripts that provide a uniform interface to most system software.
The script to control squid is located in /etc/rc.d/init.d

You can start|stop|reload|restart|status it like so:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid start <--Changing start to whatever you want to
do.

Using RunCache will work (if you compiled your own squid) but is not
recommended, as it doesn't conform to the standard Red Hat initscripts
forcing you to use rc.local to start squid (not a big deal really). To
start squid on bootup you can add it to your /etc/rc.d/rc[3|5].d
directory, depending on your default runlevel, like so:

ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90squid

Do a search on the web for more docs on Sys V runlevels to find out more
about this sort of thing. It's a little confusing at first but very
effective and Red Hat's implementation is very nice.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com