Re: modify time from squid (not browsed server)

From: Miroslaw Gawenda <mirek@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 04:36:22 +0100

>HTTP is not designed to be transparently cached. Part of the cache
>validation which takes place between the browser and the proxy cache is
>only defined when talking to a cache (i..e manual proxy configuration).
>
>Of the browsers used today it is only IE prior to 5.01 (I think) which
>pays attention to this. Netscape sends the same of cache validation
>controls even when not talking to a proxy.

I think so this is not problem with browser. To say more , I was think so
this is but I was loose one day for testing and I found so My browser sends
good commands but SQUID Cache algorithm is not good for all serwers. I think
so if the SQUID can remember date and time returned from httpd than he can
correct this problem with different algorithm for calculating modified date
of object.
I was suggest this in the title of my question.

As I was say previously I getting bad time from httpd and only in this
situations SQUID don't freshing pages. I think so better linux kernel and
some time utilities can solve this too, but generally the problem exists.
Httpd return other time for url like http://somedomain.com/ and
http://somedomain.com/index.html but of course this is the same file (in
this problem).

please try (if you have enough time) this two commands :
1.client -m HEAD http://www.linux.org/
2.client -m HEAD http://www.linux.org/index.html

You get two different expires date !!! but this is of course the same page.

Mirek.