[Q] Attaching Squid to 'parent' server blocks local access to local server

From: Robert Chalmers <robert@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:07:37 +1000

I am running Squid-2.0 here, for some time now, with our own C class
network, with one direct link to the local POP.

This week, the service point, www.direct.bigpond.com/proxy/ has advised that
connections like mine should connect through their Cache Farms.

This seems reasonable enough, so I put in the required line,
cache_peer brisbane.cache.teslstra.net parent 3128 3130
and did a sighup.

This immediatly meant that I could no longer retrieve documents from my own
server? The call just seems to hang forever.

If I comment out the line, and sighup, the local net starts working fine
again.

I'm sure I'm missing something very simple here, and will be gratefull for
any assistance at the end of a looong day. I've read the docs, the archives
and so on untill my eyes are ready to fall out :-)

Thanks folks
Robert