It runs, but these are the error messages

From: CarolB <edluzen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 04:35:19 -0500

I'll be brief and start by telling you that I can't really say that I totally understand what I'm trying to do -- I've read and read and READ instructions, how-to's, FAQs ... so if I don't give you all the information, please tell me how to find what else I need. I'm surely missing the big picture here.

Squid 2.2.STABLE4 runs as a process under RH6.1 My Win95 workstations access the Internet through it. But ... the cache.log tells me, among other things:

helperOpen Servers: Starting 5 "dnsserver" processes
Unlinked pipe opened on FD 10
Loaded icons.
commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 33 to *:3128 (98) Address already in use
FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port
Squid cache (Version 2.2.STABLE4): Terminated abnormally

The workstations were still accessing the Internet an hour after the time-stamp on the log.

It's difficult for me to even know where to start asking questions -- how about: If squid cache terminated, is there another part of squid still functioning that is acting as a transparent proxy for the Win95 workstations? Or have I somehow given them a different way through? (Workstations are on a "private" 10.1.1.0 network on a WinNT domain. Another difficulty for me is deciphering what should be done with them ... they use Win NT DHCP, but I don't think this server even needs to know who they are, if I define them as "ourhosts" in acl by IP address, right?)

Linux system has two NICs, one connected to the router/csu/dsu, and one to the internal network.

Any thoughts/explanations that anyone has would be gratefully received. (This is such a learning experience.)