Re: squid uses too many processes

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Dec 1999 00:30:14 GMT

In article <cistron.v04220800b474d53edba8@[192.168.0.2]>,
jem <jhiggs@nsw.bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>well... the number of processes is definitely not stable, since it
>crashed the linux box a couple of days ago. i woke up in the morning
>to find the linux box in console with error messages about squid
>showing up, and no commands would work, not even ctrl+alt+del
>
>what can i do?

Well in that case your Linux box is simply unstable. Can be any
number of things, but if you use a stable kernel (2.2.13 or later)
I bet it's hardware.

Crappy PC hardware has been the cause of 98% of all Linux crashes
I've seen, and I am not joking here.

I spent months trying to find out why a 4-way Xeon SMP box with
hardware RAID5 and 2GB of RAM (this is $$$) was unstable under Linux.
The customer who used the machine really gave up all trust on Linux
and free software in general. Random crashes galore.

It turned out that the guy who ordered the hardware got the RAM in
the machine "as a special deal" --->> CHEAP CRAPPY RAM ! ARGH!

Experienced the same with so-so motherboards, no-brand ethernet
cards, cheap SCSI controllers/cables/terminators/disks, you name it.

From then on we only bought hardware that's at least 1.5 times more
expensive than normal hardware, we need quality.

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)