Re: always_direct?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:11:05 -1000

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 04:27:08PM +1100, Roddy Strachan wrote:
> > This causes Squid to go direct for any request for the server
> > www.satlink.com.au, as you intended. However, it sounds like you have
> > other web servers that you want included in your definition of "local
> > servers"; you can cover your whole Class C address:
> >
> > acl local-servers dst xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa/255.255.255.0
>
> Hi,
> Kendall, legend ;), thanks mate its working a treat.

There's a "gotcha" on this. If Squid starts getting busy, since it
gets DNS lookups by name, it will not have time to complete them, and
therefore if it gets requests for a virtual server you run locally
it'll fetch them and cache them before realizing they're local.

Ideally, you also need a series of other acls, like:
acl local-domains dst-domain www.mydomain1.com.au
acl local-domains dst-domain www.mydomain2.org
etc.

And if someone moves a domain to your site, you would want to also
purge any old data you've already got cached for that domain, which
AFAIK there is no single command to do.

I'm still figuring out how to best handle this - we've got 600+ domains
hosted here, with some moving on or off our network almost daily, and
it would be a colossal pain to maintain all that by hand, but an equal
one to have stale data cached or be caching unnecessarily for web sites
we host here. How do other mid-sized ISPs handle this?
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.