Re: FTP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 02:32:25 +0100

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> >FTP User Interface and Functionality
> >------------------------------------
> >Internet Explorer 5.01 has an improved FTP user interface
> >when direct access to an FTP server is available.

In what way is it improved I wonder.. or are they rather covering up
their own bugs instead of fixing things?

> >The following functionality is not supported:
> >
> >- Internet connection via CERN proxy or Web proxies.

Of course. Such connections are not a direct access to the FTP server.

Common sense says that the browser MUST be able to distiguish a FTP
connection from a HTTP proxy connection.. You should not be required to
manually change such a setting only because you use a HTTP proxy for
FTP.

> So no, FTP on IE4/5 through squid won't work unless you choose to
> not use the web based FTP service.

If the web based FTP service is advanced functionality when the browser
talks FTP directly to the FTP server then the check box shouldn't even
apply to HTTP proxy connections.

When you use a HTTP proxy for FTP retreivals, then is it the proxy who
implements all the FTP stuff. To the web browser the proxy acts as a
HTTP server serving ftp:// URL's to the client. All translation from FTP
directory listings to clickable pages in the browser is performed by the
proxy acting as a HTTP->FTP gateway.

> I suspect Microsoft may have gotten the option around the wrong
> way as I found that I have to have the box in advanced options
> ticked to _not_ use web based FTP.

Wouldn't be the first time.

--
Henrik Nordstrom