Re: FTP

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:30:05 +1100

Hi,

At Saturday 01:02 AM 11/12/1999 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > I've problems with IE 5.0 as well - it works only if I set "Use web based
> > FTP" in advanced options.
>
>Don't know about that one. No clue on what it is. Anyone else?

Yep. Release notes/README file for IE4 and 5 state:

>FTP User Interface and Functionality
>------------------------------------
>Internet Explorer 5.01 has an improved FTP user interface
>when direct access to an FTP server is available. If you
>discover an issue in the FTP user interface that blocks FTP
>functionality, you can disable this feature on the Advanced
>tab in the Internet Options dialog box.
>
>The following functionality is not supported:
>
>- Internet connection via CERN proxy or Web proxies.
>- Connecting to VAX or VMS FTP servers.
>- Using the browser from within a separate application or
> service.

So no, FTP on IE4/5 through squid won't work unless you choose to not use
the web based FTP service.
I suspect Microsoft may have gotten the option around the wrong way as I
found that I have to have the box in advanced options ticked to _not_ use
web based FTP.

Reuben