Re: FTP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 01:02:36 +0100

Vladas Lapinskas wrote:

> I've problems using Netscape (4.6, Win) and squid - it timeout reading and I
> see Squid replay headers as a garbage like this:
>
> 408 Request Time-out Server: Squid/2.0.PATCH2 Mime-Version: 1.0 Date: Fri,
> 10 Dec 1999 13:59:30 GMT Content-Type: text/html Content-Length:

When you do what?

If you are trying to transparently sent FTP to Squid then this is what I
would expect. As said earlier Squid is NOT an FTP proxy.

> I've problems with IE 5.0 as well - it works only if I set "Use web based
> FTP" in advanced options.

Don't know about that one. No clue on what it is. Anyone else?

> I can't upload files as well :-(
> Am I doing something wrong or it's a common problem?
> Are you normally close outgoing 21 port like 80 one or leave it untoched?

In my environment all users are configured to configure their browsers
to use a proxy. There no routing or DNS to the Internet, so effectively
all ports are blocket (and indeed are, there are multilevel firewalls
all over in case anyone would try anything)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker