RE: ftp proxy

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 06:49:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Martijn de Munnik wrote:

MdM} On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Dave J Woolley wrote:
MdM}
MdM} When I read the squid docs it says : "Squid is a high-performance proxy
MdM} caching server for web clients, supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data
MdM} objects. Unlike traditional caching software, Squid handles all requests
MdM} in a single, non-blocking, I/O-driven process." So it seems to me it
MdM} supports ftp doesn't it...
MdM}
MdM} > > From: Martijn de Munnik [SMTP:M.H.M.deMunnik@phys.uu.nl]
MdM} > >
MdM} > > But it can do ftp proxy with IE or does IE use HTTP when it says it uses
MdM} > > FTP??
MdM} > >
MdM} > If you tell it to proxy ftp, it sends an HTTP request,
MdM} > containing the ftp URL, to the proxy.

If you read the documentation, you will find that Squid supports the "ftp
mode" defined in the HTML specification. It is not a generic FTP proxy
server.

If you need a generic FTP proxy server, go to "http://www.fwtk.org" where
you can use the "ftp mode" to download an FTP proxy server using a URL
similar to the following.

        "ftp://www.fwtk.org/pub/fwtk.tar.gz"

With regard to Internet Exploder and Netscape Communicator, they use the
HTML specification's "ftp mode" to retrieve files. They do not use and do
not understand the File Transfer Protocol (FTP).

                             Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Chief Network/Security Engineer |
| General Dynamics Electronic Systems | Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Intelligence Systems Organization | Port Hueneme Division |
| Thousand Oaks, CA | Port Hueneme, CA |