Re: ip_local_port_range

From: Chris Conn <cconn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:48:28 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Chris Conn wrote:
>
> > I see that you advocate use of modification of the ip_local_port_range
> > value in /proc/... I just wanted to let you know that if I activate this
> > on a Linux 2.2.13 box, within 30 minutes squid stops responding properly
> > (the process doesn't die, the box just dosen't take any more connections).
> > I either get a squid error or my netscape tells me there is a network
> > error (connection refused) message.
>
> If your Squid fetches more than ~30 requests/second, then the default
> ip_local_port_range will quickly run out of space for new connections.
>
> It seems that you also need to tune /proc/sys/fs/file-max and
> /proc/sys/fs/inode-max, althought I am not 100% sure exacly how things
> relate.

I have inode-max set to 32767. If I cat
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range, I get "1024 4999".

This is my http/sec info:

Number of clients accessing cache: 450
HTTP requests per minute: 1016.3

I have never seen this go higher than 1600 (from memory, peak times it
is around 1200). I am unsure why, but if I issue your
ip_local_port_range command, 30-40 minutes later the squid process is
still running, no errors are generated in cache.log, however clients can
no longer connect and the access.log simply grinds to a halt. The squid
process does not die, it simply seems to no longer accept connections.

Chris

 Christophe Conn               Web site: http://www.abacom.com
 Administrateur de Réseau  //  Network Manager
 Les Services Internet ABACOM  E-Mail  : cconn@abacom.com
 780 King Ouest, Suite 100     Phone   : +1 (819) 820-2929
 Sherbrooke (Qc)               Fax     : +1 (819) 820-8866
 Canada  J1H 1R7