Re: ip_local_port_range

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:53:45 +0100

Chris Conn wrote:

> I see that you advocate use of modification of the ip_local_port_range
> value in /proc/... I just wanted to let you know that if I activate this
> on a Linux 2.2.13 box, within 30 minutes squid stops responding properly
> (the process doesn't die, the box just dosen't take any more connections).
> I either get a squid error or my netscape tells me there is a network
> error (connection refused) message.

If your Squid fetches more than ~30 requests/second, then the default
ip_local_port_range will quickly run out of space for new connections.

It seems that you also need to tune /proc/sys/fs/file-max and
/proc/sys/fs/inode-max, althought I am not 100% sure exacly how things
relate.

Anything interesting said in cache.log?

--
Henrik Nordstrom