Re: comments?

From: Jon Mansey <jon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:57:38 -0800

>These look pretty good to me. I'm not an expert, but I think they're in
>line with what other people have posted. There was a thread a couple of
>weeks ago about caching satellite links. It was generally agreed upon that
>satellite-fed caches will do much better with more specifically-tuned
>algorithms.. Check the archives if you've just tuned in. ;)

Interesting, Ill search for that info.

However, this cache is FEEDING satellite customers. I wonder if there
are some optimizations I could make to account for the rather long
latency (up to 700ms) of these client connections?

One reason I attribute to the somewhat low byte ratio is that the
community is hugely geographically diverse (Middle East, Europe and
Africa) so there may not be too much coherence in content interest.
But then again, that would show up in the hit ratio also.

I was expecting byte ratios in the order of the mythical 40% with
hits up in the 60s.

Jon.

>--
>Blue Lang, Unix Systems Administrator, QSP Inc. - Raleigh, NC
>Phone: 919.875.6994

jon@interpacket.net Chief Science Officer
  "Low-cost & high-speed access to the US Internet via Satellite"
InterPacket Group, Inc. http://www.interpacket.net
1901 Main St. tel (310) 382 3300
Santa Monica, California 90405 fax (310) 382 3310

"Unix IS user friendly...It's just selective about who its friends are."