Linux and Squid :

From: Jan Van Ham <Responsible@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:39:41 +0100

Hello,

I'm running at this moment an out-of-the-box installation of a Linux distribution (SuSe 6.1) and running kernel 2.2.13 together with Squid 2.2.STABLE5-WCCP but I'm soon to migrate to a machin a bit more powerfull...

Our site is a low-speed site with between 4 and 10 request / sec but I was wondering WICH parameters to 'tune' when compiling a kernel...
Since I'm actually a Linux-newbie (I know some stuff..kan compile kernel and understand a bit what I'm doing) I could use some tips so my new squid doesn't bounce into future trouble because of lousy configured file-system/kernel parameters ;-))

- What about the amount of file-descriptors ?? I've read the FAQ and they describe how to adjust certain file with Linux kernels 2.2.x but it this enough ? 1024 seems a reasonable amount of FD's ?!

- What about the 'volumes' I've read something about mount a EXT2FS with a certain parameter 'no wait-time' of something ? Can someone enlighten me on this one ??

- Suppose you have 256MB of physical RAM ... is it bad to make a statement in squid.conf like cache_mem 256 MB (def : 8 MB)
Or will the Linux OS starts swapping like hell ??
More cache_mem is offcourse good for keeping lot's of data 'hot' (& ready to serve fast ;-))

I'm running Apache on the same machine (for the cachemgr.cgi) script , but is this wise ? It will only be accessible from 1 host within our network and won't do any extra "handling" of requests/data
Actually my 200MMX machine doesn't seem to east lot's of CPU ... maximum like 20% max ... so the Apach only eats some memory I guess ??

any comments or suggestions ??
Thanx in advance ....

Jan